Thursday 21 March 2013

Are you a bad friend?

Can you tell your boyfriend his breadth stinks?



Can you tell your girlfriend? Your best friend? Your colleague?



I have a few questions is it possible to become so accustomed to someone's bad breadth?



What is the best approach to use when telling someone their breadth stinks?



The awkward irony of halitosis is that many people aren't aware that they have it.

(This why you need good friends) .This is because the cells in the nose that are responsible for the sense of smell actually become unresponsive to the continuous stream of bad odour. If you have bad breath, you may need to be told, or you may notice the negative reaction of other people when you're just too close!


Let us get to the science of it.

Halitosis is also referred to as oral malodor, but most of us know it quite simply as "bad breath." Even though it's a comparatively minor health problem, bad breath can be distressing and a bit of a social handicap.


Causes of Halitosis

The most common cause of bad breath is the food you eat. Garlic, onions, some kinds of fish, and diets rich in fat and meat can all result in halitosis. When these foods are digested, volatile substances or chemicals are absorbed into your bloodstream and are carried to your lungs where they are exhaled in your breath.

Missing meals, hunger, fasting, starvation, and low-calorie diets can also cause "hunger breath."

Because there is no flow of saliva during sleep rotting of saliva and debris from leftover food in the mouth can lead to bad breath in the morning.

Halitosis is also caused by:

smoking

alcohol

dentures

periodontal or gum disease that causes teeth to become loose, thereby creating pockets in the gums that harbor bacteria and lead to bad breath

chronic lung or sinus infections

breathing through your mouth because of enlarged tonsils or adenoids

mouth infections such as thrush (candidiasis)

systemic diseases such as diabetes, liver disease, or kidney disorders

pregnancy

not brushing or flossing regularly

Taking certain medications can also cause bad breath, especially those that reduce the d flow of saliva and dry out the mouth (e.g., some antidepressants, antipsychotics, antihistamines, decongestants, and medications to reduce high blood pressure).


When you cannot rely on your friends or those around you to tell if your breadth stinks;
It's easy to self-diagnose bad breath.

You can lick your wrist, let it dry for a few seconds and smell the area, or cup your hands over your mouth and sniff your own breath. If you need a second or more trusted opinion ask a stranger or better still your dentist.


Here are some tips for getting rid of bad breath:

Brush your teeth 2 times a day and floss once daily.

Clean your tongue before bedtime by scraping with a plastic tongue cleaner or brushing gently.

Prevent hunger breath by eating regularly and avoiding fasting or skipping meals.

Ask your dentist to recommend a specific cleaning system that can help clean your mouth more thoroughly than with just regular brushing.

Keep your nose and sinuses clean.

Stimulate saliva flow with fruits such as oranges and lemons.

Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to keep your mouth moist and to help rinse away odour-forming bacteria.

Decrease alcohol and coffee intake.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist whether your medications are causing problems of dry mouth that may be leading to bad breath.


8 comments:

HealthWiseNigeria said...

Please share your experiences.

Bella x_x said...

Luv this piece. I had a halitosis experience dt last for 2 HORRIFYING weeks *cringeeeee*. At first when it startd I jst noticed that by midday my mouth starts to have a funny taste, then I wud chew gum to cover up until 5pm when I leave work *deep sigh* I was sooo unhappy abt it cos one of my colleagues and I were faffing around one day and he walked past me to get something while I was talking, he jst stopped in his tracks and said "what was that? (With a look on his face) n then he said maybe its nt u... *hot tears* at the moment I almost fainted from shame, I kept tryin to find out wt was causing it..... Loooong story short, I finally found out it was because I changed toothpaste and the new one jst wasn't working for me! It took me a week to find out, and like 5 days for my breath to become fresh againg *whew*..... I am soooo relieved its all in the past nw!! :D

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you found the cause :D

Anonymous said...

Bad breadth is one of the HARDEST things to talk about tho... I remember I once had this boyfriend that had bad breadth, it was sooo annoying cos I love kissing bt this was gettin in the way, after like the third month I started dropping hints about him changin his toothpaste, etc but he didn't quite get it *rme* so one time while were grocery shopping together I bought him a very minty toothpaste and talked about hw awesome it is bla bla bla, and he got himself mouthwash (Lord be praised :D)....n nw I cn kiss allll day long. Lol

Anonymous said...

I met a guy who had bad breadth. At first i thought i couldnt date him but after spending more time with him, i dont smell it anymore. Does this mean his breadth still smells?

ngozii said...

Hmmmm, that's a hard one o, maybe he did something about it cos I don't think anyone cn get comfortable around bad breadth. #justsaying

kanyin said...

Looool

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Its genuinely amazing article, I have got much clear idea regarding
from this paragraph.

Here is my web blog - http://www.linkiamo.com/blogs/17364/18589/the-best-way-to-get-associated-w