Tuesday 12 March 2013

Rats do not like spaghetti


Believe me, I am telling you this from experience.

Rats do not like spaghetti.

I must have left the back door leading to my kitchen open. Prior to this costly mistake i had no problems. No rat infestation of any sort. I even secretly looked down on people who mentioned they had rats in their house. I would look down on them especially if i visited and saw a rat scurrying past. I would judge their hygiene even i would be worried to eat there. Till it happened to me!



One night, i was thirsty and went to the kitchen. Lo and behold a rat was on the counter looking very comfortable. This was the beginning of the battle. I started noticing their presence around the kitchen. I decided to protect myself i bought large plastic containers with lids to store food items. This helped curtail their influence.

Until one day i came into the kitchen and realized i left the lid of my plastic container open *tears* ( i refuse to answer any questions regarding why i keep forgetting to close things. Thank you). The food items had been tampered with; noodles, milk, goldenmorn all eaten through the pack but the spaghetti was untouched.



After this encounter i became even more aggressive in my attack.



How to get rid of rats in the home



Prevention is always easier;

Cover trash bins.

Repair any cracks in the house.

Store food properly.

Keep doors especially those leading out closed.



You could get a cat.



Use traps- Find their pathways and set traps in the area. Rats are intelligent, change the position of the traps continuously. You can also keep the traps well hidden maybe behind a plastic bag, the aim is to block the trap from their view yet leave it in a position where they are likely to become trapped.



Poison- This is a sure method the downside is they can die in a hidden corner and stink up the house.



Use Glue traps- Easy to use, convenient. Try not to get your foot stuck in them.

You will have better success with the traps with younger rats that have less experience.



Electronic Devices- Someone once sold my father a device you plug into a socket, he claimed it emitted sounds irritating to rats and cockroaches. I have no idea where to purchase this and would appreciate any information.



Repeat the Process.



If all fails, fumigate.



How do you deal with rats?

No comments: